As the world continues to reel from the devastating effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s International Pathology Day in collaboration with the Pathologist magazine and sponsor Sonic Healthcare UK will explore infection.
Focusing on the methods and models that have been developed to manage infection around the world, the day will also explore how the global pathology community has managed infectious outbreaks in the past and how it is dealing with the current outbreak of COVID-19.
Themes explored on the day will include the social, economic, cultural, technical, and biological factors that impact on controlling the spread of an infection, the role of testing and the search to discover a vaccine and treatments.
The roundtable will explore these themes and offer new perspectives. Following its hugely successful debut we are also excited to announce that the poster competition sponsored by Sonic Healthcare UK will be returning.
Event speakers include:
• Professor Jo Martin, the President of the Royal College of Pathologists
• Dr Mike Osborn, President-elect of the Royal College of Pathologists
• Professor Ali Hajeer, Laboratory Director, King Abdulaziz Medical City
• Evangelos Kotsopoulos, CEO Sonic Healthcare Germany and Continental Europe
• Dr Pikka Jokelainen, Statens Serum Institut and Dr Martha Betson University of Surrey School of Veterinary Medicine
• Professor Tahir Pillay, Professor and Chair, Department of Chemical Pathology and Head of Pathology, University of Pretoria
Roundtable: Why international knowledge sharing is a winner
The roundtable will discuss the importance of international information exchange – especially in a pandemic – and how screening, diagnosis, treatment selection, and health monitoring differ between regions. Against the setting of COVID-19, it is more important than ever not to place boundaries on our ability to learn from one another.
Do you think pathology laboratories have been crucial to the world’s COVID-19 response? If so tell us how - enter the International Pathology Day Virtual Poster Competition. Posters will be displayed digitally and judged by Professor Jo Martin, Dr Mike Osborn, Dr Shubha Allard and Evangelos Kotsopoulos on International Pathology Day as part of the virtual conference. The competition is open to UK and international entrants.
The author of the winning poster will receive a new Apple ipad and second and third prize winners will be awarded Apple Airpods courtesy of our sponsor Sonic Healthcare UK.